Sunday, May 13, 2018

has the Tech Boom made us more antisocial? (Myth or Truth)

Did the tech boom of the 1990's make the youth of today, anti social? While my mother certainly thinks that me, walking around the house with my little white earbuds sticking out my ears, a little white wire plugged into my cell phone, giving my world a background soundtrack is anti-social behavior, many articles i read think the opposite. An article on BBC News.com, has the iPod Made us Anti-Social, author Tom de Castella navigates many ideas about how the iPod seems to make people anti-social, but it is by name only- people percieved other's with their music playing to be unapproachable, but that does not mean that that person is anti-social.

this has been an issue since the first portable music device, the Walkman, and continued with mp3 players and eventually the iPod- which was so popular even president Bush had one, surprisingly- and now nearly everyone has one in america. Seeing athletes- joggers, runners, swimmers, gym-goers- listening to music while working out is incredibly common, while in the past it has been a communal radio-listening culture. When using a bus, a train, a plane, or even in the backseat of someone's car, many people are plugged in, watching a movie on a device, oblivious to the outside world.
I personally do not view technology this way, given that we actually are more social in my opinion, due to most young people using social media constantly. My opinion is shared by , in the article called Technology Doesn't Make Us Less Social; It Just Changes The Way We Socialize, it compares two images: one of several people reading newspapers,and one of people looking at their phones. They look pretty simmilar right? This article's main point is that technology did nothing to change human behavior, just the way we show it, the anti-social tendencies were always there- but now they come with earbuds, and they light up. 

I am very curious- If you disagree with my opinion, please share some articles and I will totally check them out!
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140804/20514528111/technology-doesnt-make-us-less-social-it-just-changes-way-we-socialize.shtml
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-15066957
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35752625



No comments:

Post a Comment